Monday, June 2, 2014

When to Share

Blogging... The next great adventure. This past weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to share my experiences with attendees of the Ages and stages conference in Pasadena. I so enjoyed your questions and concerns. Over the coming weeks I will try to answer some of your questions via my blog, because many of you had the same concerns. Today my topic is 'who, when and how to share that your child has autism'.
I hear this question a lot. Some of you have had bad experiences sharing. One mom shared that her friend stopped calling and talking to her. Although this seems sad, it is really only sad for the friend. This person is going to miss out on the experience of watching her daughter grown into a beautiful young woman.
We might be inclined to try to hide the real truth from our family and friends, but in our hearts we know that they know something is not typical.  I spent years trying to hide the truth, only to discover that people thought my kid was just being a brat, having tantrums and fits at social gatherings.  When I did begin to share, people were very supportive of what I was doing and much kinder to my son.
Who should you tell. I think it is best to start with those people closest to you. Those family friends or girl friends who know you best. Find a quiet moment, probably without your child nearby,  over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine. Share what you have learned about your son or daughter. Say that you hope they can support you on this adventure. If they can, they will. Some people just don't understand. 
I will add that not everyone will make this journey with you. You will need to add some new friends who also have children with challenges. Together you will laugh, cry and share the greatest adventure of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment